One of the best things about Fortnite: Battle Royale is the sheer amount of cosmetics that you can equip to customize your avatar. Unfortunately, most of these cosmetic unlocks can only be obtained by purchasing V-bucks… unless you know how to get them without having to use a credit card, free v bucks coming your way!
You read that one right. With the right combination of effort and patience, it’s possible to get enough V-bucks to purchase skins, dances, and outfits without you having to shell out extra cash. Here’s a quick rundown on what you can do.
As it turns out, you do get multiple options to earn V-bucks, but how exactly does each option work? Let’s take a closer look at each of them.
How to get Free V Bucks
1) – Grinding out V-bucks in Fortnite: Save the World
If you have access to Fortnite’s original PvE (player vs environment) version, then you already have a good way to keep earning V-bucks at a slow but steady rate. Here’s a quick rundown on how you can start working towards those sweet unlocks in Battle Royale.
- Logging in – Really, that’s all you need to do to keep a steady supply of V-bucks! While this method is rather slow (about 100-300 V-bucks every two weeks), it also doesn’t require you to do much. Set an alarm once a day, log-in when it goes off, and you’re pretty much done!
- Daily Quests – If you want to speed things up by a bit, Fortnite: Save the World also has daily quests that you can accomplish for 50 V-bucks a day. The reward might not seem like much at first glance. But considering the fact that you get 500 V-bucks every ten days PLUS the Log-in V-bucks bonuses. With this, you can have at least one legendary outfit from the item shop at least once a month!
- Events and Timed Missions – Every now and then, you will be able to participate in special events and timed missions. Timed missions happen more often, and can yield up to 40 V-bucks if completed. Event missions happen less often, but the potential amount of V-bucks you can easily earn a few hundred V-bucks if completed.
- One-time bonuses – Fortnite: Save the World has several tasks that provide a one-time bonus. These rewards are great if you need an influx of V-bucks ASAP. However, remember that you can no longer rely on these once you run out of those tasks.
- Storm Shield Defense Missions – Another way to earn your free v-bucks would be to complete these missions that are positioned around the map. These missions will give you 100 v-bucks for each completion. There’s a bunch of them of different content to choose from such as: StoneWood, Canny Valley, Plankerton and Twine Peaks.
Free-to-play in 2019 – 2020
Here’s another bit of good news. Fortnite: Save the World is planned to be released as a free-to-play game in 2019 or early 2020. This means that unlocking skins can be completely free if you have the time and patience, but enough of that for now.
Playing Fortnite: Save the World is fun but the grind can get too repetitive over time. From here on out, other ways to earn V-bucks will require you to dabble with certain things outside of the game. These are good for a change of pace while still helping you work towards those sweet unlocks.
2) – Earning Cash thru Online Services
V-bucks are hard to come by if you don’t have the cash to spare. But what if you have the means to earn the extra cash you need? It’s possible to earn cash that you can use to unlock V-bucks by answering paid surveys or watching certain online advertisements. Although you can’t expect to earn a staggering amount of cash through this method. It’s good enough if you want to have at least enough cash saved for an unlock or two every now and then.
Don’t know where to start looking for online services? Check out PointsPrizes, a company that rewards users with PaySafe Cards, PayPal payment codes, or Bitcoin payments that you can use for buying V-bucks.
Once you have enough points from surveys and advertisements, you can use it to redeem the payment method that you want. As an added bonus, you can even use points to redeem other currencies for other games or online purchases, but that’s a story for another day.
IMPORTANT – Avoiding “Automatic” V-bucks Generators
One thing that you could possibly mistake for websites or apps similar to PointsPrizes are scam sites that claim to generate free V-bucks for your Fortnite account. They will disguise themselves as a hassle-free option to give you V-bucks on a regular basis, but they will also require you to provide your account name, passwords, or even sensitive information such as name, addresses, and credit card details.
Fortunately, avoiding these scam sites and apps is relatively easy; all you need is a little bit of caution. Remember that there are only two ways to get V-bucks: paying for it or earning it by playing Fortnite: Save the World. If a website claims to give you V-bucks just by using their app or entering your account details, it’s most likely a scam site trying to steal info. Another obvious sign of V-bucks generators trying to scam you is that they often go by blatant names such as freevbucksonline.com or easvbucksgenerator.com. If you think they’re too good to be true, you’re probably correct and better off avoiding those offers.
3) – Mine Bitcoins from your gaming pc!
This is where things start getting more complicated, but the potential to earn a lot of cash that you can convert to V-bucks is impressive. In a nutshell, this method involves mining for Bitcoin, the world’s favorite cryptocurrency, trading it in for cash and then using that cash to purchase V-bucks. Currently, there’s no way to directly purchase V-bucks using Bitcoin, but who knows what the future holds?
You’re probably intimidated by the fact that today’s miners use specialized equipment to make mining at least profitable. Fortunately, there are now plenty of ways to start mining with just a run-of-the-mill computer. A good example of this is HoneyMiner, an app that causes your computer to start mining whenever you’re not playing Fortnite. Of course, if you have a few decent rigs meant for mining, you could easily mine enough for V-bucks on a more frequent basis.
Do you wonder why Fortnite won’t launch its own cryptocurrency? We did and wrote an article about it. Find it here!
IMPORTANT – Study about Bitcoin!
It’s always a good thing to do your own research before dabbling in anything you want to try out. Look up what you need in order to start effectively mining cryptocurrency. See if you have the necessary hardware (and a Bitcoin wallet). Compare different apps to see which ones would give you the best results over a given time. The more you learn about it, the more options you get in order to get as many V-bucks as possible.
4) – Be on the Lookout for Exclusive Promotion Rewards
Every now and then, a company or a website will strike up a partnership with Epic games to create promotional rewards for players.
- Twitch Prime – The best example of this would be Twitch.tv and their prime service. Since the game was launched, the streaming platform has offered exclusive outfits and skins for Fortnite players who subscribe to their premium service, Twitch Prime. You might want to check if you or your family have an active Amazon Prime subscription; linking it to a twitch account and then linking it to your Fortnite account would also make you eligible for Twitch Prime rewards (if there are any)
- Purchasing certain products will make you eligible for their respective tie-in rewards. For example, purchasing a Samsung Note 9 via their website will reward you with 10,000 V-bucks and the much-coveted Galaxy outfit. If you’re about to get a new phone, it might as well be something that offers extras related to your favorite battle royale game!
- Different versions of Fortnite: Battle Royale may give you exclusive rewards so you might want to choose your platform carefully. For example, getting a Nintendo Switch Fortnite Bundle gives you 1,000 V-bucks plus exclusive outfits for your avatar right out of the gate! Playstation 4 users also had access to a PSN-exclusive cosmetics such as the blue leader and blue ace outfits.
- Every now and then, prominent streamers across various platforms hold giveaways, some of which could be gift card codes that you can use to purchase V-bucks with. Big name streamers are more likely to have these kinds of giveaways, so it’s wise to subscribe to them so you get updated in case the next giveaway is happening soon.
Getting More Value out of Your Hard-earned V-bucks
You now have the options to start earning “free” V-bucks, but how much do you actually need? Remember that a single legendary outfit still in rotation costs 2,000 V-bucks. Here’s a quick scenario that can help you put things into perspective. Simply logging in to Fortnite: Save the World will net you about 300 V-bucks every half a month. This means it will take about one and a half months alone for doing the bare minimum. You can also shorten the wait time by spending an extra hour or two per day to gain points from paid surveys and watching ads.
Already set on getting your V-bucks? The next thing you need to know is which v-bucks purchases will give you the most value. For example, a BattlePass costs 950 V-bucks. Which may seem like a steal considering the number of cosmetics you can unlock after purchasing it. However, the season you’re at might soon be over. This means you might not have enough time to move up the tiers and get access to all of the possible rewards. To get the most value out of your Battle Pass and hard-earned V-bucks, you should make the purchase early during the season.
For an even better picture, let’s take one of the more popular outfits: the Raven legendary outfit that came out in season 6:
What it would take to get it (for free):
You need 2,000 V-bucks for the outfit itself.
You also need 800 V-bucks for the Iron Beak harvesting tool skin…
…another 800V-bucks for the Feathered Flyer glider Skin
And another 2,000 for alternative cosmetic items to complete your Nevermore set if you want all possible cosmetic options.
That’s a grand total of 5,600 V-bucks for a complete set. Which would take about 5 months’ worth of logging in daily to the PvE game. However, if you can earn using the other methods mentioned above. You can cut down your wait times by a significant margin, and you can have the set in less than a week.
You also have to remember that while the methods we listed will let you earn v-bucks for free. That doesn’t mean that they are useless if you’re actually willing to pay for your cosmetic unlocks. In fact, these methods will help you spend less because you can buy a smaller amount of V-bucks and still have enough to purchase your preferred items.
Regardless of which method you choose above. You will notice that consistency and commitment are the secrets to earning more V-bucks over time. Missing out on a few daily quests or not being able to answer surveys for a few days can put a damper on your grind for V-bucks. Fortunately, while consistency requires a certain level of commitment, it’s completely doable in most cases.
Can you share ideas on how to speed up the grind for more free v-bucks? Feel free to let us know in the comments section below.